21 February 2012

Day 21 - A Recipe

I am currently (really) in love with this book:

"To Thine Own Self, Be Food" will contain a book review at a later date, but for now, suffice it to say that the recipes I've done so far (eight, maybe?) have been simple and tasty.

Some are downright kindergarten simple - for example, Pizza Potatoes?  Baked potatoes with pizza sauce, mozz cheese, anything else that might go on a pizza.  Hardly qualifies as a "recipe"...but yet, it was a huge hit here at my house.  So, then, who cares if it's a real recipe or not?

I've taken two recipes from this text for today's blog; one has awesomely, pleasantly surprised me, and one is on the menu for tonight.

Last Thursday, we prepared Pork Medallions in Mustard Sauce (my apologies - no pictures).  Don't shy away if you're a mustard-hater, but instead skimp on the mustard measurement I've given here:

1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp parsley (I love my herbs, so I measure with a heavy hand)
4 tsp spicy brown mustard

Combine these four and set aside.

1 pound pork tenderloin (fat trimmed and sliced into half-inch slices)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Season sliced pork and brown it in the oil (medium-high heat in skillet).  After pieces are light brown, remove into a separate dish.

3 garlic cloves (again, another ingredient that gets a heavy measuring hand)

Saute garlic in skillet for a minute.  Stir in mustard mixture, loosening any brown bits in the pan.  Bring to a boil, before reducing heat.  Simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes.  Return pork slices to pan, cover and simmer over low heat for 4-5 more minutes (or meat is cooked through).

1 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water

Combine these two in a small cup, stirring until smooth.  Add to pan, cooking and stirring for another 1-2 minutes until thickened.

This recipe here makes four servings, so of course, I doubled it to feed my brood.

I was perfectly content to ladle extra mustard sauce over my medallions, where the kids simply ate the meat plain.  The flavor was excellent, and the meat tender.  I'd definitely consider making this for company...I think it's fancy enough.  It's certainly tasty enough!

Tonight's meal (and recipe) is Linguine with Gorgonzola Sauce (four servings).

12 oz.  linguine
1 bunch fresh asparagus (trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 cup half and half
4 oz. Gorgonzola cheese (or blue cheese)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Pretty simple here.  Cook noodles, adding asparagus during last four minutes.  Meanwhile, combine half and half, 3/4 cup of cheese, and salt.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes, uncovered (stir often).

Pour melted sauce over cooked noodles, toss gently to coat, and sprinkle with remaining cheese and walnuts.

I will provide pictures and a judgment later on tonight!

Later on tonight:

YUM!  Everyone liked!  It's definitely got an Alfredo taste to it, but the asparagus is a nice, springy touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment