12 September 2011

Maori Proverb and The Divine

"Turn your face to the Sun, and the shadows fall behind you."

I discovered this delightful peach as I was browsing through The Goddess Pages.  And right now, it seems to resonate deeply with me.

If you've read my blog for any length of extended time and especially in the last year, you know I've struggled with maintaining a positive outlook.  Negativity easily creeps into my existence, and many times I lose the battle between good and evil.


It's no surprise that I now see shades of this in my own children.  Fighting, antagonizing, whining, complaining...behaviors I know might be part of a stage or phase...but are more likely the result of modeling.  And my part in it was revealed clearly only after an unbiased third party made an innocuous comment about my kids' behavior.

So - action must be taken.  Last night, I prayed.  To whom is irrelevant, but to one who might understand the current predicament I am in.  I asked for patience and calmness.  And then I asked again.

Today, I think I was rewarded.  I felt like a much more a calm wind today, much less tempestuous.  I caressed my children, interacted with them, reminded them of our expectations, etc.  Only once was my patient demeanor tested...and that was with a college student!

The Maori proverb is just awesome because it's just so true.  Look for the light, and the shadows fade.  Look for the beauty in life, and the negative crap dissipates.

2 comments:

  1. HD:

    Your post reminds me of the lyrics to "Look for the Silver Lining":

    Look for the silver lining
    When e'er a cloud appears in the blue.
    Remember somewhere, the sun is shining
    And so the right thing to do is make it shine for you.

    A heart, full of joy and gladness
    Will always banish sadness and strife
    So always look for the silver lining
    And try to find the sunny side of life.

    So always look for the silver lining
    And try to find the sunny side of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...Whit, good poem! Articulates exactly what I was trying to get across!

    ReplyDelete