31 January 2009

If You Want To View Paradise

simply look around and view it.

Most of you, I'm sure, are familiar with the Gene Wilder version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I love the scene when the kids first enter the factory's main room...when I was a kid, I was enamored by the giant gummy bears, lollipops, and edible cream mushrooms. I wanted to be Veruca Salt or Violet Beauregarde...I certainly would have been more appreciative.

Anyway, as you get older, and the love handles get more pronounced, you don't think so much about the candy anymore (much). Instead, you listen to Gene, singing about paradise, and chuckling as the man ever-so-nonchalantly takes a bite out of a edible daffodil/teacup.

And then, on a day like today, you think maybe you know what old Gene was talking about. Or least his songwriters.

Today is the last day in January here in Iowa. It's cold and the snow is still several inches evident. However, the skies are blue, the sun is shining brightly, and the roads are mostly clear. While yes, we are still bundled up very tightly in our coats and scarves, there is a hint of Spring in the air. The air has changed; I can feel it. Maybe the moisture has returned. I don't know meteorology, but change is coming. It is imminent.

So, while the outside environment is unfolding as it should, so is the inside. My house right now has the quiet hum that indicates everything is doing the things they should. The laundry machine, the furnace, and the children's downstairs chatter all lend to that happy household harmonic symphony. After I finish this post, I will recline on my couch and complete my reading before Universal Khaki tonight (an activity I haven't done for some time). Later this afternoon, the family and I will trek over to the Joneses' house and discuss the book, while making bread together, while learning about handguns.

Right now, I live in paradise, and I'm simply looking around to view it. I can't explain how big my heart is.

It's one of those moments when my blog title truly has meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment