02 April 2012

Abnormal Fear?

I went to my first-ever chiropractic appointment today.

This is not earth-shaking news.  Hundreds of thousands of people visit one every day.  So, why was I apprehensive?

Two reasons.

1.  I deliberated on whether or not I should go for some time.  At worst, I imagined the doctor informing me that nothing at all wrong was with me and I should instead think about a psychiatrist visit.  I am not debilitated, and I am not in pain for even a major portion of the day.  It's a dull, deep, niggling type ache in my neck, shoulders, and mid-back.  It's really nothing I can complain much about, especially when I am a daily witness to people with conditions and injuries far more serious than mine.

But, in general, I'm tired of feeling old.

2.  No, I am not on any kind of medication for my discomfort.  I do not take over-the-counter painkillers for the pain.  Because I have no desire to become dependent on foreign chemicals to feel healthy.  Concurrently, I don't want to become dependent on a chiropractor to feel better.  I'm worried about becoming "addicted".

This all is just a damn, stupid reminder that I'm getting older.  I haven't come to terms with it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment