17 January 2009

Date Movie Of 1991

1991 - I was a mere sophomore in high school. My dad was just letting me ride in cars with boys, and spend time with them in darkened movie theaters.

The big date movie of 1991 was "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves." Guys who wanted to score serious boyfriend points took their significant others to this one. And...it was a win-win situation all around. There was enough intrigue for guys and girls. Of course, girls loved the romance of Robin Hood and Maid Marian. Guys gravitated to all the fighting and bow-twanging. There was something for everyone - all parties were happy. And let's not forget the song! Bryan Adams' "Everything I do, I do it for you." The theme song of proms the entire world over.

Oh, and the single most important reason to love this movie? Early 1990's Christian Slater. The hottest guy on the planet at that time. Mmmmmm...

****Excuse me...did it just get really warm in here all of a sudden?

Anyway...

However, I did not care for Kevin Costner in the lead role. First of all, he's not manly enough for me. Second, he's supposed to be English, so why did he not once speak with a British accent?

Fast-forward eighteen years. This movie still rocks. Why, you ask?

1. First of all, the song is still good.

2. Kevin Costner still sucks.

3. Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors, and to see him in this early piece is just freakin' awesome.

4. OK, so my Christian Slater phase has passed since 1991, but he's still precious.

5. Severus Snape plays the Sheriff of Nottingham. Sweet!

6. Maid Marian's hair is still gorgeous.

7. The battle scenes are still cool.

8. My kids liked it.

Go out and rent it right now. Or download it and watch it. Or put in your Netflix queue. Or YouTube it. Whatever it is that we didn't have back in 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment