04 May 2011

The Midnight Oil Tonight

Short nights lead to long days.  I know this.  And yet, it's 12:34 a.m. and I am not quite ready for bed.  This is probably due to a couple of things:

1. Consumed two cups of coffee around 8:00 (not decaf!  egads!)
2. Watched Gothic horror film "Dorian Gray"

After engaging in a lively discussion about religion with my husband (circa 10:45), we prepare for bed.  I'm lying there, thinking about all the things I didn't get done today, and how tired I really am NOT.  So, I jump up and spring into action.  In the last hour, here's what I've accomplished:

1. Calendar for my Speech class done for rest of year.
2. Calendar for my English 9 done for rest of year.
3. Assignments ready for printing and copying tomorrow.

By all rights now, the candle should be burned at both ends.  Surely the caffeine effects have worn off and now I've got enough schoolwork done to set my mind at ease for tomorrow?  Nah.  Got a bit of steam left for one last final sprint here.

So.  It probably won't be the first time you hear me say this:  the next three weeks cannot move fast enough.  Three weeks from today is the last day of school.  I am tired of the constant tiresome battle to keep my sanity together.  Energy and morale is quite low, and I feel as if sheer willpower is getting me through the days.  My diet and exercise is off, my leisure activity time is off, my social/friend bar is off - and, in the words of Friar Laurence, "I am strain'd [nearly] beyond the compass of my wits."

Tempt not a desperate (wo)man!

2 comments:

  1. HD:

    According to the experts who study insomnia, you did the right thing. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, I will surf on the computer or read for up to an hour; and then when I go to bed, I promptly fall into the arms of Morpheus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody's gonna be nodding off tomorrow afternoon.....

    ReplyDelete