01 July 2009

Culture Club!


Newly Discovered Gem #33: Small town live music concerts, usually located at the town square/bandstand/city park.

Tonight was truly a scene reminiscent of old Americana. Young and old, rich and poor...dozens of people gathered tonight at our town's square. Every Thursday, the community band provides a free concert for all.

Tonight was the first time in my life that I attended. To make this more sadly poignant, let me remind you that this is my hometown. Out of 35 years, I have lived here for 23. And yet, here I was, a Thursday-night-concert virgin.

But, oh, make no mistake. I will be back. In addition to a nice night out, live music, blankets on the grass, the content sound of children scampering on the lawn, three local businesses provided refreshment. Popcorn from the bank, shaved, flavored ice from the drugstore, lemonade in bottles from the real estate place - ALL FREE!

Just another reason why I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment