18 October 2008

No, I'm not talking about the political debates. I'm talking about one on a much more personal level.

The internal debate of whether or not to quit my job.

Ah yes.

Those of you who've ever been where I am now know what behemoth I am facing. This decision cannot be made frivolously; I am not in my early 20s anymore. I have three children, a house mortgage, and good community standing. A solid career flung to the whipping winds of discontent could end in so many bad ways.

On the other hand, I'm not about to spend my life feeling like I'm just surviving and trying to get through to the weekend. I want to do something that will make me happy and full of purpose.

But, I've got to have a plan. And I must lay the groundwork for that plan. So here goes...the first in an installment of two. My reasons for staying home.

Reasons To Stay Home

1. I am fed up with education and its limitations, and I don’t think it will be changing anytime soon.
2. I would be a bigger part of my children’s before and after-school routines.
3. I would have more freedom in dictating how I spend my day.
4. Working part-time would allow me to be more involved in house management duties.
5. I would be in a better mood at the end of the day because all my “good stuff” wouldn’t have been sucked out by teenagers.
6. Weekends would be more productive and content because I wouldn’t be holed up for six hours a day grading papers.
7. I’m pursuing my dream of trying to be a successful writer, and I know I would regret not trying it.
8. I can’t happily imagine myself teaching in a public high school next year.
9. I’d have more energy to focus on important issues, my health, well-being, spiritual development.
10. We’d learn to become more frugal, due to a smaller income. Restaurant time would decrease because I’d have the energy and desire to prepare supper.
11. I'd enjoy a daily leisurely lunch, reading a book over a bowl of soup, instead of cramming prepackaged Jello and applesauce cups into 25 minutes of hurried chattering with colleagues.
12. I'm a good role model for my children - that when you truly want something, don't let fear hold you back. Taking risks can be OK.

I'm sure there will be more. I may come back to update if/when I experience an epiphany.

No comments:

Post a Comment