12 November 2007

Kenny Rogers Rediscovered

I first became familiar with this silver-maned crooner in the early to mid 80's. See, my parents were (are) country music fans...and I'm talking Country-Western. I'm talking Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, etc., etc. I'm now talking about the crap now about sexy tractors (WTF is that about?).

Anyway, I've tried to deny my heritage. For the longest time, I've tried to cover up my CW past by listening to the likes of Tori Amos, NKOTB, and Paula Abdul.

Well, it's all caught up with me. It first started about four weeks ago when I got the Netflix itch to watch "Coward of the County" based on Rogers' song, because I remembered that flick when I was a kid. Well, from there, it's blossomed into a full-fledged rediscovery. And not only that, but Brent got caught in the Kenny undertow, too.

In fact, he just purchased the CD "21 Number Ones: Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits". And the songs are awesome...I mean, we've got:

- Lady
- Lucille
- The Gambler
- Islands in the Stream
- She Believes in Me

and on and on and on. The only bummer: No "Reuben James".

And so now, I was just browsing through iTunes and came across this gem: "70's Country". OMG!!

We're talking:

- Rhinestone Cowboy
- Convoy
- Take this Job and Shove It
- Rose Garden
- Mama, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys
- Coal Miner's Daughter
- If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me?

AND MORE!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just can't believe I may possibly be reverting to music from my childhood. Next thing I know, I'll be watching reruns of "The Waltons".

G'night, John Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment